Financial Education for Securities, Banking, & Insurance Professionals.
Each professional learns differently. Some like the discipline and schedule of local or live online classes, and others prefer self-paced study with strong support tools. However you want to learn, The American College has a proven educational option for you.
We have three main categories of learning which are available in various combinations for our designation and degree programs. Click on any of these to learn more, or contact a professional education counselor at 888-263-7265 to decide which choice is right for you:
The American College's self-study option, known throughout the financial services industry for flexibility, the best textbooks, and strong results, is available for all of our core professional designation programs, including:
- CFP® certification education
- CLU® insurance specialty
- ChFC® advanced financial planning
- CASL® specialty in senior and retirement planning
- RHU® health insurance
- REBC® employee benefits.
Self-study is also available for many courses in our popular MSFS master's degree (including the three CAP® philanthropy designation courses) and for our CLF® leadership program. In the master's and CLF® tracks there is also a residency component to complete.
How does self-study work at The American College?
(Some of our most popular programs are now offered as packages, allowing you to enroll in all of the courses you need at one time for a discounted price. If you're interested in a package, call a professional education counselor at 888-263-7265 to discuss your options.)
- Choose the designation or certification program you want to pursue. Each will consist of a number of courses, some or all of which are required (some programs also include electives). These are college-level courses, and they require work and preparation to complete successfully. Most students allow about three months to finish a course. When you sign up, you'll choose a "testing window" during which you'll need to schedule your proctored exam at a convenient local testing center.
- All the study material you need is included. Shortly after you register for your course, you will receive your textbooks and study material in the mail. You'll also get access to The American College's Online Learning Center. Start by exploring all the online tools we've developed to help you pass your exam: additional reading material, practice tests, audio reviews, video reviews for some courses, a discussion board, and more.
- Schedule your exam at a local testing center sometime within your testing window, and do it early so that you can plan your studies accordingly. You'll learn your exam results at the testing center, and you'll get your official grade report back from The College a few days later. If your employer reimburses for the courses you pass, you can apply for reimbursement after you receive your final grade report.
- Sign up for your next course quickly! Our most successful students leverage their success by moving from one course straight into the next requirement. Those who take this approach are the most likely to complete their chosen program in a timely way.
A version of self-study is also available for the popular LUTCF and FSS skills training programs. Because these classes are interactive (and are traditionally held live in local classrooms or through webinars), the self-study model is structured to encourage interaction with the instructor and other students through a unique "online training center" module. You'll respond to questions and comments on your own time, submit your homework assignments online, and work through your class at the most convenient times for you during each week of the course. Review all of our programs of study here.
More students are choosing live webinar classes now for three reasons:
- The quality instructors are a great help in understanding complex material
- The discipline of regular classes keeps studying on track
- Class archives offer the flexibility of repeat viewings
Live webinar classes are available for our leading CFP® Certification education program. Currently requiring six courses, students often purchase the entire package of six webinars for one discounted price. Other webinars are offered on a course-by-course basis for a number of our popular designations, including CLU® insurance specialty, ChFC® advanced financial planning, CASL® specialty in senior and retirement planning, RHU® health insurance, CAP® philanthropy and others. View our full roster of live webinar classes here or call a professional education counselor at 888.263.7265 to learn more.
These popular skills training classes in insurance and financial planning -- all interactive and instructor-led -- are offered both across the country in classrooms and live online. These programs deliver proven results: sales professionals who are students see their production rise as much as 40% while they are still taking the classes.
The online model for LUTCF and FSS requires participation, and attendance in the live online sessions is important. You'll find that you learn as much from the other students in the class as you do from the instructor and the printed material. You can view the available online classes here.
You may be interested in the self-study model for LUTCF and FSS, available through our online training center. Learn more about this option here.
Some LUTCF and FSS students prefer to take some or all of their courses in the traditional classroom style through a local NAIFA association. To view a list of classroom options available in your area, select your state in the box below and choose "submit."
For the students who have the flexibility to travel or to take time out for a local class, nothing beats a traditional classroom for superior learning. Turning off the cell phone, forgetting about deadlines and emails, and focusing on an outstanding instructor can help you grasp new concepts quickly. We offer several types of classroom experience:
- Intensive Review Programs (IRPs): Study before you arrive, lock yourself away for a few days for an intensive review of all of the course's topics, then take your exam. These programs are highly popular ways to combine the best of both worlds: self-study and professional review. Find out what courses are currently available here.
- Local classes for LUTCF and FSS: Local NAIFA associations offer LUTCF and FSS courses in cities all across the country. You may decide to take some of your courses locally and others online. To view a list of classroom options available in your area, select your state in the box below and choose "submit."
The most advantageous tuition arrangements The College offers are available to students who enroll in packages -- signing up for all of the required courses in a designation program at one time. This approach allows for meaningful student discounts and makes these valuable educational programs more affordable.
Our most popular plans include:
- Complete CFP® certification live webinar series with all textbooks, an HP financial calculator, and a suite of online study resources: $3,995.
- CFP® certification education self-study package, with all required materials and study support: 3,837.
- Accelerated CFP® certification education program combining self-study and intensive "boot camp style" review: $5,175.
- Monthly payment plans for CASL® specialty in senior and retirement planning, CLU® insurance, ChFC® advanced financial planning, and CFP® certification education from $150/month with no interest charges!
For more information or to enroll, contact a professional education counselor at 888.263.7265.